Concealed Weapons Permits

Any Maine resident over 21 (who is not otherwise prohibited from owning or being in possession of a firearm), is authorized to carry a concealed handgun without a permit. This also applies to individuals (18-20 y/o) who are actively serving or have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Military/Armed Forces.

If you hold an active permit, you are not required to apply for renewal once your permit has expired.

The law does NOT change where you may carry or who may possess a firearm. With a few specific exceptions, it will still be *illegal* to possess a firearm in: courthouses, state parks, Acadia National Park, schools, federal buildings, the State Capitol area, private property (when prohibited by owner), and establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor (if the premises are posted). Note: even if an establishment is licensed for on-premise liquor but doesn’t have a posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating substances.

You may apply (initial/renewal) for a concealed carry permit if you would like the option to carry in the following locations/circumstances:

  • Acadia National Park
  • State Parks
  • Regular archery hunting (deer only)
  • On-work premises (if an employer has prohibited firearms from being on the premises, a permit will authorize an individual to keep a concealed handgun in their personal vehicle only)
  • Out-of State (refer to the State’s list of formal reciprocal agreements)


For more information and updates regarding Maine’s concealed carry laws, be sure to visit:


Overall, if you meet the criteria to lawfully to carry a concealed handgun, you may do so without obtaining a permit (unless otherwise specified). If you still want a permit despite the change in the law, you can submit an application for an optional permit through the state or through the APD (if you are an Auburn resident). Processing fees will apply.






Contact Anna Brown at 207-333-6650 X2059 for information on Concealed Weapons Permits.