Economic Development FAQs

The following are frequently asked questions related to the Economic Development Office:

Sale of tax-acquired property is handled by our Economic Development Department.  Other properties may be offered for sale by our Finance or Community Development Departments.  A listing of all city-owned property for sale can be found here


A Foreign Trade Zone ("FTZ") is an area adjacent to a U.S. Customs Service port of entry, but which is designated as outside of Customs territory.  This allows FTZ users to defer or avoid paying duties and tarriffs on imported goods.  The FTZ around the Lewiston-Auburn Municipal Airport and Intermodal Facility provides businesses in Auburn with a significant competitive advantage.

The Economic Development Department has a wide range of tools at their disposal to assist new and existing businesses succeed in Auburn.  We work with businesses on site location, permitting, financing, and other areas of concern.  We also have a long list of contacts and allies who are willing to help.  Contact us!!