City Clerk

The following are frequently asked questions related to City Clerk's Office:

Residents of Auburn may register to vote at any time in the City Clerk’s office or by obtaining a voter registration card from any Department of Motor Vehicle Office in Maine.  Requirements are that one must be 18 years of age and show identification and proof of residency in the City of Auburn.

On July 12th, 2010 a new law preventing fraudulent use of vital records went into effect.  Vital records include birth certificates, fetal death and death certificates, marriage certificates, and domestic partner registrations.  Maine’s new law will require a person requesting a copy of records less than 100 years old to provide documentation establishing their direct and legitimate interest in the records. 


Until now, Mainehas been one of just a handful of states that have allowed anyone, including individuals with bad intentions and for profit entities, access to these records.  Information from vital records will become completely open to the public 100 years from the date of the event.


Individuals who may access vital records less than 100 years old include:

  • The person named on the record;
  • The person’s spouse or registered domestic partner;
  • The parent(s) named on the record;
  • Descendants of the person named on the record;
  • Registrant’s legal custodian, guardian, or conservator or respective authorized representative (includes attorney, physician, or funeral director); and
  • Genealogists who have a Maine CDC issued researcher identification card.


Proof of identity must also be presented to the municipal and city clerks or state Vital Records Office staff.  A brief application for securing a copy of the vital record must be filled out and presented, along with positive identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or other government issued picture identification that clearly shows that the person requesting the record is who they say they are.  Identification requirements apply whether the records are requested in person or by mail.


More information on this issue may be found at 

Birth, Marriage and Death Records are available by submitting a vital records request form to the City Clerk’s office.  The fee for a record is  $15 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy of the same record. 

Please remember that if you are submitting this by mail you must provide proof of identity and proof of direct, legitimate interest.