In accordance with the City of Auburn Ordinance (available HERE), if you have an alarm system in the City of Auburn, it must be registered with the Auburn Police Department. Fire and auto alarms are excluded.
Registration is $30.00 for the first year. Thereafter, there will be an annual renewal fee of $5.00 for residential and $10.00 for business customers.
If police respond to an unregistered alarm, the owner will be fined $100.00.
There is no charge for the first two false alarms within a 12 month period.
Third and fourth false alarms: $30.00 service charge per occurrence
Fifth and sixth false alarms: $50.00 service charge per occurrence
Seventh and subsequent false alarms: $100.00 service charge per occurrence
Download and complete the Alarm Registration Form and mail it, along with registration fee of $30.00 (check/money order) payable to "City of Auburn."
Obtain a permit before you operate your alarm. Failure to do so may result in a fine of $100.00.
Changes to permit information should be submitted within 30 days.
Download and complete the Alarm Registration Form and mail it, along with registration fee of $5.00 residential or $10.00 commercial (check/money order) payable to "City of Auburn." Please remember that alarm permit renewal is required on an annual basis.
AVOID SERVICE CHARGES
The following guidelines can easily prevent most false alarms:
- Make sure all alarm users and key holders are trained to use the system, including how to cancel a false alarm.
- Be sure doors and windows are properly closed and locked before arming the system.
- Be sure motion detectors are properly adjusted and clear of possible obstructions.
- Have an arming delay of at least 60 seconds and arrange with the alarm company NOT to call police if the system goes off immediately after it has been armed.
- Read and follow instructions in your operator’s manual.
If you have questions, please call APD at (207) 333-6650, e-mail Information Assistant Claire Barclay, or contact your alarm company.