Trash, Recycling & Other Related Services
The City of Auburn offers trash and recycling collection. By City Ordinance, please remember to have all trash and recycling at the curbside no earlier than 6 pm on the night before your collection and no later than 7 am on your collection day.Despite our contractor's best efforts, sometimes pick-ups are missed. When this happens, please call Public Works at 207.333.6670 OR email us and we will work to resolve the problem.
Trash & Recycling Collection
Our City provides trash and recycling collection Monday thru Friday with 4 holiday exceptions.
In 2013 we WILL NOT collect trash or recycling on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day - Tuesday, January 1, 2013
- July 4th - Thursday, July 4, 2013
- Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 28, 2013
- Christmas - Wednesday, December 25, 2013
Depending on the street, trash collection occurs on different days: Trash Collection Schedule
For your convenience, these are the links to your recycling schedule by day:
- Clear & Colored Glass
- #1-7 Plastic
- Tin Cans
- Newspapers & Magazines
- Mixed Paper
Where does our Trash & Recycling go?
Mid Maine Waste to Energy
Mid Maine Waste Action Corp. (MMWAC) located at 110 Goldthwaite Road was created to own and operate a solid waste system for the benefit of twelve communities. Upon its creation, MMWAC undertook a program that led to the replacement of the pioneering Auburn waste-to-energy facility, which had operated since 1981 using the Consumat technology. That plant was replaced with a 200-ton per day mass-burn incinerator, equipped with a 5-megawatt turbine generator, and advanced air pollution control equipment. MMWAC:
- Provides reliable, safe, and economical waste processing and disposal services for members, associate towns, private haulers and local citizens
- Advanced the solid waste hierarchy by maximizing the recycling of materials back into their basic raw material state and operating an advanced waste-to-energy facility to minimize the landfilling of waste materials
- Protects the environment through efficient combustion and advanced air pollution control equipment, reduce greenhouse gases by avoiding landfilling of trash which offsets methane production that would have accrued at landfills
- Generates domestic renewable electricity for use in the local electric grid thus offsetting the use of fossil fuel